Early photo of Christ Church Redding

Early photo of Christ Church Redding

Our original rooster weathervane

Our original rooster weathervane

Graveyard

Graveyard

OUR HISTORY

Founded in 1732, the history of our parish goes back to well before the Revolutionary War and sparkles with many stories of the evolving relationship between our Anglican parish and the struggle of our country to become free of British control. As the Revolution approached, our parish was a haven for pro-Tory sentiment in a town where many citizens were Patriots. Our first rector, the Rev. John Beach whose first commitment was to non-violence, struggled valiantly to maintain a position of loyalty to the Church of England without supporting British military intervention. Because of his skill at maintaining peaceful relations, Rev. Beach was one of the few Anglican priests to remain in the colonies throughout the Revolution. Many fled to Canada. Click here to read some of the stories of these early days.

The original church of 1732 was rebuilt in 1750 and again in 1833. With its little white New England church appearance, its colorful traditional stained glass window over the altar, and its steeple sporting a replica of its original rooster weathervane, it continues to combine its Anglican roots with simple New England charm. Its newest addition, a modest but magnificent pipe organ, was added in 2015.

In 1851, a rectory was built adjacent to the church and in 1997 the original building was replaced (none too soon) with a spacious new colonial style home. Click here for a full description of the new rectory (and our property).

Nestled beside the church there remains an 18th century graveyard with stones naming many of Redding’s early families. Sara Beach, the wife of the first rector, is buried here.

For some time, we have wanted to offer parishioners the option of interment on the property. In 2018 we proudly and gratefully completed and consecrated our Memorial Garden, a peaceful retreat at the rear of the church property.

In 2007, we celebrated our 275th anniversary. We are looking forward to 2032 when we will celebrate 300 years!